Previous Page  28 / 32 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 28 / 32 Next Page
Page Background





John Richard Cary (OD 1935)

John Richard Cary passed away

June 29, 2016. He was a loving

partner and father, Quaker and

conscientious objector, professor

of German literature, and an

exuberant accordion and piano

player. He was passionate about

grammar and linguistics, as well

as the value of civility and of all

persons. As a young man, he

had excelled on the cricket and

soccer field.

Born in Baltimore in 1923,

John and his family moved

to Berlin, Germany in 1930.

The American Friends Service

Committee (AFSC) and German

Quakers asked his father to act

as Secretary of the International

Quaker Bureau which sought to

assist German Jews.

John attended school in

Berlin. When Hitler became

Chancellor in 1933, John’s school

days changed forever. His class

was instructed to begin the day

with “Heil Hitler.” John walked

to school between his chums

Hans-Heiner Müller, whose

father was a Nazi, and another

boy nicknamed Bärchen (Little

Bear) Cohen, the son of the

local rabbi. One day Bärchen

was gone. John and his parents

hoped that he landed in a place

safe from Hitler.

During the summer of

1933, John left for England and

attended the Dragon as a day

child. John’s daughter, Cary,

said: “My father had very fond

memories of the Dragon School.

He told us about reading great

books and visiting museums. His

father, Richard Cary, died when

my father was in England, aged

10, so he sought comfort in the

loving British family with whom

he stayed.”

which now sits in Winchester

College Chantry.

Graham had been looking

forward to his 90th birthday.

He will have been disappointed

to have been bowled out by the

Almighty for 89.

He continued to be a staunch

supporter of the Skipper Society,

for those who leave a legacy

to the Dragon. He was a great

conversationalist, and his fellow

Skipper Society members,

with whom he shared so many

pleasant lunches, will miss him.

With grateful thanks to Rupert

Hill (OD 1967), Graham’s son.

Derek Parfit (OD 1956)

The sudden death of moral

philosopher Derek Parfit in

January 2017 was a shock to

his family and to the many

members of the philosophical

community, in which he had

played such a leading role.

Born in 1942 in Chengdu,

China, he was the son of medical

Christian missionaries who

had met at Oxford University.

When they returned to live

and work in Oxford in 1950, he

became a Dragon day boy. His

progress through the School was

remarkable and resulted in a top

scholarship to Eton in 1956.

Consistently, he was first or

second in English and other

subjects, alternating with his

good friend, Bill Nimmo-Smith.

Derek became a keen member of

the chess team. He enjoyed the

Dragon productions, concluding

with a fine performance as Sir

Toby Belch in ‘Twelfth Night’.

In his last years here, he

was a boarder; he might have

been influenced by Hum’s

enthusiasm for a camera; in

later life, Derek became a keen

photographer, often enjoying

the variety of light and weather

conditions he found in Venice

and St Petersburg. Attentive to

the precise visual effects that he

wished to achieve, these trips

gave him a welcome respite from

academic life.

The memorial event in All

Souls College was a recognition

of the significant contribution

of Derek’s research, both in the

College and to the wider world.

A generous tutor to his students,

Returning to the USA in

1935, he attended Baltimore

Friends School. He graduated

from the George School in

1941 and entered Haverford

College, in time for Pearl

Harbor and the draft.

John’s Quaker beliefs and

ideals led him to become a

conscientious objector and

he served with the Civilian

Public Service. In 1946, began

a doctorate at Johns Hopkins.

In 1951, he met and

married Catharine Brinton;

the couple returned to

Germany in 1952. He was

employed by the AFSC to

run a student centre at the

University of Munich where

people of different viewpoints

and nationalities would

discuss issues of the day in a

spirit of reconciliation.

In 1954 the couple

returned to the United

States with a baby girl. He

became a tenured professor

in the German department

at Haverford, where he

remained for 37 years.

Married for 65 years,

Cathy and John raised four

daughters. He loved to

spend time with his nine


Michael John Hanks

(OD 1940)

Michael Hanks died on 10

January 2015 after a short

illness. Michael left the

Dragon for St Edward’s

in 1941, having started in

the ‘Baby School’ in 1931.

He enlisted in the KRRC

in August 1945 before

transferring to the Oxford

and Bucks Light Infantry in

1947, undertaking his officer

training in India. He left the

Army in 1948 and joined

Dorland Advertising Ltd

where he became a director,

retiring in 1982. Michael is

survived by Sue, his wife of

62 years, three sons, Simon,

James and Willie, seven

grandchildren and three great

grandchildren. His cousins

John and Richard also

attended the Dragon.

Graham Hill (OD 1940)

GrahamHill was a Dragon

through and through. He had

been a Stooge (Assistant Teacher)

between 1945 and 1948, and later

around 1950. He taught some

maths and coached scholarship

candidates in classics. He recalled

helping with the Gilbert and

Sullivans as a repetiteur and “all

the other endless things that

Stooges were called upon to fulfil...

including loading a car with

strawberries on Joc’s birthday”.

Born in Oxford, Graham went

to the Dragon, as did his brothers.

He moved on to Winchester as a

scholar and studied at St John’s,

Oxford. Following National

Service in the RAF, Graham was

called to the Bar. He joined the

Colonial Office’s Legal Service

and was posted to Singapore,

where he lived with his wife,

Maggie, from 1953.

Graham later moved into

private practice in Singapore,

joining Rodyk & Davidson, where

he remained for 20 years, latterly

as Senior Partner. In 1976, he

became a director of Guinness

Mahon, the London-based

merchant bank, moving on to

become Chairman. He left a few

years later to move to rural Italy.

After a spell back in the Law,

he became a part-time consultant

to Frere Cholmeley, a firm of

London lawyers with offices in

Rome and Milan. He left in the

early 1990s. For the next decade,

he lived in Sardegna for eight

months of the year, spending the

other four in Winchester.

The two Winchester phases of

his life - as a Scholar and again in

his final decade – were Graham’s

happiest times. A competent

organist, Graham loved music.

He presented the small organ,