Previous Page  24 / 28 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 24 / 28 Next Page
Page Background




Hugo White (OD 1953)

Admiral Sir Hugo White, GCB CBE,

Commander-in-Chief Fleet 1992-95 and

Governor of Gibraltar 1995-97 died peacefully

at his home on 1st June 2014, aged 74.

Hugo Moresby White was born in

Torquay, the son of a colonial officer in

Nigeria. After the Dragon he went on to

Pangbourne Nautical College where he

became cadet-captain, and then on to

Britannia Royal Naval College. He joined the

submarine services in 1960. His first ship was

the frigate


in which he saw action

during the Kuwait crisis of 1961.

In 1971 he was selected for the training

staff at Dartmouth and was Commander

Submarine Sea Training in 1973. Between

years 1975-1977 he became commanding

officer of the frigate HMS


, which

took part in the bitter ‘cod war’ dispute

with Iceland.

Having proved himself a man of action

he was appointed Captain, Naval Plans 1978-

80, where he was responsible for dealing

with war plans and in peace time, battling

Treasury cutback plans.

In 1980 Hugo was appointed commanding

officer of the Type 21 frigate



became Captain of the 4th Frigate Squadron

(so-named Fighting Fourth) in 1981.


was in dock in the UK when the Falklands

conflict broke out in 1982 but maintenance

work was hurried up and the ship headed

south, at an average speed of 28 knots,

reaching the battle group in May after an

8000 mile journey.


narrowly missed

several Exocet missiles launched by the

Argentine Air Force and in June Hugo went

to the West Falklands where he accepted the

surrender of Argentine forces at Fox Bay.

In 1987 Hugo was promoted to Flag

Officer Third Flotilla and Commander of

the Anti Submarine Warfare Striking Force.

He became Vice Admiral in 1991 and in

1992 was promoted Admiral and became

Commander-in-Chief Fleet. In retired from

the Royal Navy in 1997 following a two year

appointment as Governor of Gibraltar. He

was awarded the CBE in 1985, a KCB in 1991

and a GCB in 1995.

In 2002 Hugo suffered a fall which

resulted in a serious head injury. His gradual

recovery was aided by his wife Josephine ‘Jo’

Mary Lorimer née Pedler.

Hugo White is survived by his wife and

their two sons.

Admiral Sir Hugo White was born 22nd

October 1939 and died 1st June 2014.

Admiral Sir Hugo White (OD 1953)

Hugo and I were friends from when we

arrived in Plums at No.6 Bardwell Road

in September 1948. We moved up the

forms together ending in Upper 2A with

Joc. We were in the 1952 rugger team

winning all our matches (members of

which still meet regularly).

We both joined the Royal Navy though

Hugo went into submarines while I stayed

on the surface so we did not meet often.

He achieved great rank but remained the

same friendly, unpompous character I

knew from school.

On retirement he sailed with me and

we would reminisce about our Dragon

days; as we did after his accident through

photographs and memories of escapades

on our holidays at Daymer Bay in

Cornwall with Joc and other masters.

I am fortunate to have known Hugo for

so long: a great man and a good chum.

Captain Jake Backus (OD 1953)

bushido and yoga enthusiast, and an ordained

Zen Bodhisattva.

He could also juggle five balls. He was a

loyal friend, highly entertaining, generous,

and exuberant. He loved life and he loved

living. A real Dragon.

By Daniel Tarshish (OD 1982)

Mark Webster (OD 1956)

Mark William Webster was born on June

3rd 1943 in Shawford, Hampshire, only

child of Gillian (née Hartland-Mahon) and

RAF Squadron Leader Harry Webster, and

died March 20th 2014 in Zürich. A few

months after his birth, his father’s plane went

down near the Azores with no survivors,

presumably hit by a German U-boat. His

family, on both sides, had travelled widely and

served in India. Mark was especially drawn

to Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism, entranced

by tales told by a cousin who had lived in the

Kulu valley and been friends with Nicholas

Roerich. So after the Dragon School and

Stowe, and before New College, he spent six

months near Almora in 1961, first teaching at

the Doone school in Dehra Dun. Among the

many interesting people he met there were

Chögyam Trungpa, recently escaped from

Tibet, and Krishna Prem, an English Hindu

saint. His impressions of this period remained

a strong influence throughout his life. It was a

great disappointment to him that he was not

allowed to study Tibetan at Oxford, but had

to settle for History. After university he taught

English in London, trained as an Alexander

teacher with Patrick MacDonald and Peter

Scott and became a skilled potter.

In 1973, Mark was offered a position

teaching the Alexander Technique to young

actors at the Zürich Schauspielakademie and

relocated to Switzerland with his first wife

and young son. He taught at the acting school

for 35 years, as well as teaching English at the

Kantonsschule Wiedikon. He was a founding

member of the first Alexander Teachers

Society in Switzerland and was its president

from 1981-1988. During the eighties he

travelled to Canada for several months

each year to train Alexander teachers with

Richard Ayreton in Vancouver. Travel was

in his blood, and he always seemed at home

in whatever corner of the world he was in,

never failing to have a good conversation with

whomever he met. Mark remained a spiritual

seeker and a Buddhist throughout his life with

a great interest in and knowledge of all forms

of personal development.

The diagnosis of a brain tumour two years

ago did not stop a rich life, full of friendship

and travel to the end. He is survived by his

second wife Robin, his

first wife, the mother of his daughter, 2

children, 2 step-children, 3 grandchildren and

many friends.

By Robin Möckli Webster

Dickon Robert Gort Lush (OD 1983)

Dragon School: 1977-1983. Winchester

College 1983-1988 (awarded Duncan Prize

for Mathematics, Captain of shooting).

Oxford University (Wadham College)

1988 - 1994: Mathematics (BA) and

Computation (MSc). Many will remember

Dickon for his gift as a mathematician.

After Oxford, he continued his research

at the Humboldt University in Berlin, and

then returned to do his PhD at Bristol.

His work on Finitary Geometry earned

him deep respect from his peers and his

tutors. He received a commendation from

his examiner and influenced those who

studied after him, including Professor

Richard Pettigrew: “Dickon had brilliant and

ingenious mathematical ideas that helped

me along throughout my thesis; but he also

took the more pastoral side seriously. In

fact, I think some of the most encouraging

things that anyone has said to me about my

mathematical work came from Dickon. He

was exceptionally generous with his praise –

yet sparing enough that you felt that he really

meant it; little was said for effect.”

Dickon struggled with addiction

throughout his life. He heroically overcame

the ravages of heroin, twice. Despite this, he

focused his energy on others. He volunteered

for Oxfam and he was a mentor for those

suffering similar drug addictions and for

vulnerable young people with housing needs.

He married Katherine Mayberry in 2004.

They had two sons, Henry and Alexander,

to whom he was devoted. Dickon was a

polymath: an eccentric bridge player, fanatical

about computer games (teaching Conrad

Wolfram’s mother, a philosophy don at Lady

Margaret Hall, how to master Defender and

Dare Devil Dennis), a talented pianist, a